Saturday, July 05, 2008

Zoe Garcia

Will there be any justice for the death of this little girl?
Her sister received an 18 year sentence - suspended - if she serves 6 years in a youth offenders correctional facility!
A trial date has yet to be set for the boyfriend Lamar Roberts.

“It (the sentence) was very fair,” said Trujillo’s father, James Henry, who lives in Limon. “She did goof off and make a mistake.”
http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080702/UPDATES02/80702023/1002/NEWS01

A little girl is kicked and beaten to death - and of course a video game (Mortal Kombat this time) is to blame - and the father says, 'she did goof off and make a mistake!'

Play wrestling between kids is normal - if someone gets accidentally hurt - that IS goofing off and making a mistake.
Punched and kicked to death IS NOT goofing off and making a mistake.

These teenagers involved here are more than old enough to know the difference between right and wrong - to know that video games are not real - and to know that any violent action towards another human being is wrong.
It is not misadventure - it is not goofing off - it is not an accident - they kept kicking and beating till the child did not get up.

If half of the statements made by neighbours are true and were reported to the Department of Social Services as stated on the link below - then why the hell was something not done to help protect these children?
http://pysih.com/2007/12/20/heather-trujillo-and-lamar-roberts/

We constantly have it drummed into us in most of the western world - that we should report signs of abuse - especially when as extreme as these - that we could save a child's life - and yes these neighbours tried. They did what was right and all they could do - an their pleas for help for these children were ignored. Hopefully the remaining children will be placed with people who can love and care for them properly.

Do I have a right to bleat and cast stones?
Maybe! Maybe not!
But I do have some insight in having had to try and help others deal with the mess left behind in situations such as this.
I also know the difference between people that use movies/games/past childhood experiences as an excuse - and those that are affected by them for real.
The sheer fact that both took part in the killing of this child and then so willing to lie about it and blame the other clearly shows that the 'game' is an excuse.
I have dealt with people who have reported abuse - and it has been ignored - and a child has died - wondering if they could have done more - when they really could not have. They were there to give food - to talk to and they acted responsibly in reporting to Social Services.
I have dealt with the family members left behind. All the more heartbreaking as they get older and trying to understand why this happened to their sister/loved one.

As a parent myself - with children aged 8-18 - I have a tough time sometimes too. I am a single mom and provide for my children alone. I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination - show me a parent that is!
I do not believe the internet is a bad and wicked place or that video games are bad and wicked either.
I DO believe it is my responsibility as a parent to ensure my children know right from wrong; reality from pretend; respect for themselves and for others and that as children to enjoy their childhood and remain children whilst they can because the big bad world of adulthood will bite them on the ass soon enough.
My younger children are not allowed to use the internet alone - and are not allowed chat clients.
My older children are obviously allowed a bit more freedom - but if I see they are having a problem - whether it turns out to be a simple argument with a friend - I talk to them first - and if I become very concerned in that the mood is not shifting then I will snoop at the conversations on their laptops.
My youngest had a problem after playing a game on his PS2 - I took the game away till I was able to make it clear that it is a game - it is not real - and know he understood the concept of the game and the responsibility in playing it and not carrying it over to real life - primarily just from using questions of 'right and wrong'.
I do not accept rude behaviour from my kids (my angelbrats) in any form - like I tell them - I know they know better because I raise them!
I am lucky - I am involved with my kids and they talk to me about all sorts of things. I do not allow them to grow too fast - heck I made my daughter wait till she was 16 earlier this year to be allowed to get her ears pierced - and no I am not a prude - far from it! I even occasionally whup their ass in various games - gives us a chance to muck about together!
I also screw up and get things wrong - nobody is perfect - but I know it is my responsibility as a parent to do my very best to ensure my kids grow to become responsible, contributing members of society with respect for others as well as themselves - and with 2 deaf teenagers (1 with mild autism) and 2 younger children - it can be hard going doing it alone. Letting go bit by bit is hard for any parent - but I trust in what I have taught them and what they have learned about themselves and other people. I do not leave my oldest children in charge of my youngest. They are not called angelbrats for no reason - all kids are more than capable of being angels one minute and brats the next. My oldest children are also entitled to their own lives and do not need the responsibility of being part-time parents/carers.

I have seen so many situations arise where lack of decent parenting seems to be a root cause. Older children forced to become part-time carers. Parents not giving a crap as to what their kids do when out and about/online/playing games. Other parents telling their little 'angels' they can do no wrong and giving them some cash to get them out the way.
Parents in bad conditions through circumstance and left to deal with it alone and getting caught up through no fault of their own.
But......... if you see bruises on your younger children - you have surely got to ask why? (as in the case of Zoe and her younger siblings.)
When Social Services get a call from neighbours with such grievous concerns - it should be followed up - maybe then this beautiful little girl would still be alive.

So many red flags in this case - yet the bull was allowed to win - with only one sign of a distraction (the neighbours) being ignored.

No comments: