Saturday, October 11, 2008

Popularity and politics do not mix.........

Mike - sorry I did not see your comment on the post below.

I don't get into politics too much (which is why of course I am now going to ramble on about it) - the supposed 'leaders' here are as bad - if not worse than anywhere else.

It is fine to want the job to run a country if you truly feel you have the propensity for it - but you have to be able to take your head out of your ass and look at what is going on around you and in your country to be able to do the job effectively - I know that Brown is very guilty of not taking his head out for long enough as are others.

The world right now is going through an economic crisis - and it is going to be interesting to see who has balls and who does not.
I have not voted for years - for the very reason that neither the Labour nor Conservative Party here have shown to me that they have what it takes to be able to get this country back on it's feet again in many areas: economically; socially; religiously; edumactionally (yes - that was done on purpose!); health care; and more help for those in the forces and emergency services (they get a damn raw deal a lot of the time) and quite important to myself and a lot of people right now - get rid of the damn Nanny State.

For those that say 'if you don't vote you have no voice!' ..........fine - then you don't need the extortionate amounts of all different kinds of taxes I pay either?! I will not vote just to keep someone out. By doing that I would be saying it is OK for someone else to do the job whilst I do not believe they can.

Political correctness has gone beyond a joke - heck it comes to something when as a woman you are afraid of saying something because you know so many people would be willing to use you as a scapegoat and sue the employer to make some fast cash.

The Nanny State bugs the heck out of me. Because of the few - again the majority must suffer and put up with being told what to do as adults - but the Nanny soon backs off if we do anything wrong elsewhere - I am however a believer in if you go somewhere and break the law then you are at the mercy of the courts there.
I am a 40 year old woman - I am fairly sensible - I do not need to be told what to do - aside from breaking the law of course. I do not need to be told what to watch - if I want to watch an adult movie - I will - but that does not mean I would ever be stupid enough to let my kids see it. I read what I like - to still be in a world where books and movies are banned because they may cause offence is unreal. Push comes to shove - most movies could cause offence with right (or is that wrong?) - I do however have nothing against little Hobbits - but I believe there is an underground movement trying to get rid of them ........yes there is more than a hint of sarcasm there!

To run a country - any country - takes balls!

Palin's first speech and speeches since have indeed been full of many witticisms. The girl has a sense of humor when speaking publicly. However she has shown little knowledge of anything that is actually going on around the world right now. For someone in her position only being able to cite 'Roe v Wade' when asked about cases that have had an affect in the country was astonishing - anyone that watches legal movies of most kinds would have been able to cite that one - hell they even mention it in 'Legally Blonde'.
I do not believe Palin is stupid. I do however know that I pull better witticisms out of the hat at a poker table - and would never have gone to make a speech without having done some major research first - she acts on gut reactions and then ends up with answers to questions like 'um well ahh um' - Caveman 101 is popular once more. The interviews with Katie Courac displayed this to it's fullest - and to be fair - Courac is hardly known for being super - intelligent herself - but then again she is not trying to be VP - and she showed Palin up immensely.

To gain respect and trust you must first display it and earn it - Palin has not shown she is capable of this - in fact she has shown that she does not think it necessary to be trustworthy at all and respect to her means do it her way or GTFO. She does not even have the sense to sit on the fence on certain issues - she jumps from side to side - proving even more that she acts on gut reaction - gut reaction destroys countries. Brown and many other here are no different.

Popularity is ok - but being able to tell a joke is not going to get a country out of crap. If you piss off someone enough - making them smile is not going to stop them from pushing the button to blow your ass too smithereens.

Balls are necessary for most jobs in politics and I believe in relation to the economic crisis and the bail out in the States - Obama said something along the lines of - 'so what if it's not popular - if it works - do it' - no that is not a quote and I cannot be bothered to look for it! More politicians should look at that and realise that popularity is not going to run a country - here or there. That is not saying I agree with Obama's policies as a whole - I am referring only to that one statement.

Here - we are stuck - no matter who gets in is basically gonna f**k everyone some more without a kiss first and no 'I'll still respect you in the morning!'
A lot of my friends in the States feel the same way about things over there.

I would not want the job of PM or President in a million years - I don't have the propensity for it - nor the qualifications - I'm a gut reaction kinda gal on some things - but I'd have some great comments for them around a poker table - and basically that is where most of them belong. I do know that in discussing a topic that I would have the common sense to have done my research first. The leaders that want to run a country with the 'do it my way' philosophy are not the ones you want with their finger on the button. You want someone that is going to take their head out of their ass - see what is going wrong - admit they screwed up and even if unpopular for a while - do something to put it right.

Popularity and politics are never going to go hand in hand if you do the job correctly.
Respect - however - will come along later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, you talk alot of sense Kymm (and that's not me trying to earn brownie points) well you already know my opinion on Gordon Brown, and i suspected at the time that the choice of Palin as running mate would turn out to be a mistake, though i expect the election to be much closer than current polls predict because the next few weeks will turn particularly dirty with the 'fear' factor card being subtly and not so subtly pressed home by McCain and his supporters! Though i am a fan of Obama, there are issues that i would disagree with him (i'm sure that really has him worried lol) i now accept that i'm in the minority who believes the invasion of Iraq was the right thing to do...the fact that subsequent mistakes after it's initial aftermath were abysmally handled, will not deter me from holding that original view!

Kymm said...

I just beleive running a country is a hell of a job to do and popularity means nothing if the country is going tits up in the process of being able to come up with a few witty lines.
I agreed with the invasion too.
Push comes to shove - for over 4 years the UN sat on it's hands while Sadam was 'yes I'll let you in to look' then on the day 'no you can't come in' ........ Bush ahd the balls to say 'enough is enough' and with the help of allies started to bring that dictatorship to a head.
The UN remains a laughing stock - over areas such as Iran and Korea and nobody fully having any belief that the UN will ever carry out any sanctions over a long period of time or indeed carry out any 'threats' it makes.

Kymm said...

Oh and I have ffs(fat finger syndrome) today so ignore the spelling mistakes ;)